What is success?

I have written a lot about the actions you must take to be a successful student and person. But, what exactly is success?

I believe success means something different for everyone. A good definition might be, ‘taking action every day to follow-through on your plans for reaching the goals you have set for yourself’. The goals and plans you have will be unique to you, so there is no need to compare yourself to others or to pass judgment.

It seems that success is a journey and not a result. That is, it is something you always are working toward. Even when you reach one of your big goals, there is always more work to do. There is no limit to what you can learn, and you can always work to improve yourself. Making your best effort to push yourself daily, allows you to earn the right to feel good about yourself. Ask yourself every day if you are really doing your best. The reality is that you can always do more. This is a positive thing since it means there is no reason to ever be bored.

Will Smith said, “You don’t start out to build a wall, all you do is lay one brick as neatly and as perfectly as you can”. Success then I suppose, involves doing your best today and repeating that each day, letting the future look after itself and never worrying about the past. There is no way to fail today, because tomorrow is a fresh opportunity to learn from your mistakes.

I have written before about the need to serve others. In reading self-help books, this principle comes up again and again. There is no way to have success without involving other people. When you help others you always improve yourself as well. So, make sure your goals benefit others and success will surely follow. It also helps to include others in helping you to reach your goals, since more than one mind strengthens your ability to stick with it when things are not going well.

You will only know you are successful if you have first decided exactly what goals you plan to work toward. It has been said that only 3 percent of people have written down their goals. The other 97 percent are just hoping for something good to happen without knowing what that something is, nor making any plans for achieving it. Be specific about what you want to accomplish and never stop working toward it. Be relentless and never accept failure and you are sure to improve on the road to success.

The bible says, “So too, faith by itself, if it is not complemented by action, is dead”. That is, simply believing that you will reach your goals is not enough. You need to plan the steps you will take and then follow through to the finish.

What does success mean to you? How will you involve other people on your journey through life? Please share your thoughts in the comments. Thanks for reading!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s